One of the most difficult things to deal with in life is the end of a friendship. These broken friendship quotes will remind you that you are not alone in those feelings.
They say, “All good things must come to an end”.
Personally, I am not a fan of that life quote. I believe that the truly meaningful and beautiful things in life, live within you forever.
Before we get into these quotes about friendships ending, I want to encourage you to evaluate all the friendships in your life. It's important to recognize red flags in friendship before the relationships becomes toxic.
Just as important, we can find comfort in the friendship green flags. Green flags are clear signals that we can proceed in a friendship without being afraid.
Once you've reached the point of breaking up with a friend, you probably have a range of emotions. From heartache, to anger, to an overall feeling of loss – the end of a friendship isn't easy. If you're an empath, you may find yourself even feeling guilty.
You are not alone in those feelings. In reading these sayings, I hope you find the comfort and assurance you're seeking.
Broken Friendship Quotes That Will Make You Cry
If you've experienced a broken friendship, these quotes will definitely make you cry tears of sadness, anger, grief, and disappointment.
1. “Friends can break your heart, too”
I personally think a friend breaking your heart is one of the most difficult things in life.
2. ” How strange is it, that after all that, we are strangers again?” – Lang Leav
3. “So let's ignore each other, try to pretend the other person doesn't exist, but deep down, we both know it wasn't supposed to end like this.”
A friendship ending is like a piece of your heart being taken. The loss is real and heavy.
4. “Somebody asked me if I knew you. A million memories flashed through my mind, but I just said, I used to.”
5. “Just remember, I was there when nobody else was.”
Sometimes, we forget.
6. “A broken friendship can be a comma or a full stop, you choose.” — Unknown
If the friendship had green flags – maybe you can mend it?
7. “Sometimes you have to give up on people. Not because you don't care, but because they don't.” — Unknown
This is one of the most difficult things to do but it's important for your own self-care.
8. “Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.”
This particular broken friendship quote is really fitting if you're grieving the death of a friend.
9. “Life without a friend is like death without a witness.” -John Ray
This friendship breakup quote is so relatable because nobody tends to ask how you're doing after a friendship is. A relationship breakup is posted on social media, talked about among other friends and family, but when you lose a friend – nobody seems to notice or care.
10. “We all lose friends. We lose them in death, to distance, and over time. But even though they may be lost, hope is not.” -Amy Marie Walz
You are more than your friendships.
11. “The key is to keep them in your heart, and when the time is right, you can pick up the friendship right where you left off. Even the lost find their way home when you leave the light on.” – Amy Marie Walz.
This is a beautiful quote for anyone who may want to rekindle a lost friendship.
12. “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing.” – E.B. White, Charlotte’s Web
This friendship saying is one of my favorites of all time because it's from a book all about finding friends in strange places.
13. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – A.A. Milne
Excuse me as I sob while thinking of the best friend I lost.
14. “It hurt because it mattered.” – John Green
15. “The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained.”
This happens often with friendships – ghosting is painful.
16. “I honestly do not hate you, but my disappointment is that you changed and became everything you had promised you would never be.”
It do be like that sometimes, though.
17. “We laughed until we had to cry. And we loved right down to our last goodbye. We were the best.” – David Foster
This is such a beautiful quote. While many may think of a romantic love with this, I can't help but to think of a beautiful friendship ending because of death or a mutual ending.
18. “You have to let people go. Everyone in your life is not meant to stay. Some are meant to just be a part of your journey.”
This is brutally honest but something we must come to terms with.
19. “I’m that person everyone replaces after a while.”
20. “The moment your friends cease to share their complications with you, know that is the moment you lost your prime place in their hearts.”
One of the hardest things to accept.
21. “I think I’ll miss you most of all.” – The Wizard Of Oz
I'm not crying… okay, I'm sobbing.
22. “The worst thing ever is seeing your best friend slowly replacing you with another friend.”
Oh, the sinking feelings when we realize this.
23. “At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.”
The truth is painful.
24. “Cherish the times you have with people because when those times are gone all you’ll have is memories.”
Mourning the loss of a friend hurts unlike any other death.
25. “A million words would not bring you back, I know because I’ve tried. Neither would a million tears I know because I’ve cried.”
26. “We have three types of friends in life: friends for a reason, friends for a season, and friends for a lifetime.”
Say it again, sister!
27. “Walk away from friendships that make you feel small and insecure, and seek out people who inspire you and support you.” – Michelle Obama
The most beautiful piece of advice about friendships.
28. “It’s sad when people you know become people you knew. When you can walk right past someone like they were never a big part of your life. How you used to be able to talk for hours and how now, you can barely even look at them.”
Have you ever felt this way? I definitely have. It's a feeling of sadness and sickness.
Did you find these quotes helpful?
If so, you can personally thank me! As one of Google's paid early testers for their new pilot program, Thank with Google, my readers can attach a personal note with a paid virtual sticker that is sent directly to me.
You get to share something special with me and I get some insight into which content you want to see more of.
This sticker feature can be found in multiple places on this site, just scroll through your favorite pieces of content to check it out!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links and/or promotional products, all opinions expressed are that of But First, Joy only. Read my full disclosure.
Leave a Reply