As most of us have found out, journal writing and journal prompts can help us in our mental health and personal growth journey! If you're looking for a reason to journal, I can't wait to share these 30+ inspirational quotes about journaling with you.
When you have writer's block or just need a little pick me up, these inspirational quotes can help you! I feel so inspired when I look at life quotes, especially when they are on journaling. If you've ever wondered, I can guarantee that there are many benefits of journaling for mental health.
Inspirational Quotes About Journaling
I have combed through my favorite quotes about journaling to make sure you are just as inspired as I am. You don't always need a purpose for journaling. Sometimes you just need to dive right in. However, before you get started, I want to help inspire you to journal as much as you can.
Writing and journaling are more important to one's brain and life than anyone has ever thought possible. So, check out these quotes about journaling and enjoy it! I really enjoyed doing these 50+ Self Discovery Journal Prompts, so make sure you check these out when you get a chance.
1. “Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” – Jen Williamson
I have seen journaling transform my life in so many ways. It could transform yours too.
2. “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth
I feel as though journaling takes what is in our mind and heart and puts it on paper.
3. “A journal is your completely unaltered voice.” – Lucy Dacus
A journal says so much about you and what's going on inside of you.
4. “I write in a journal daily. This extraordinary ritual has revolutionized my mindset, transformed my heartset, and generally influenced in my life exponentially.” – Robin
Although you don't have to write every single day, it's not a bad idea! It can change your life in so many ways.
5. “Journaling helps you to remember how strong you truly are within yourself.” – Asad Meah
Sometimes we forget how strong and amazing we are inside. Journaling can remind you!
6. “I don’t journal to ‘be productive.’ I don’t do it to find great ideas or to put down prose I can later publish. The pages aren’t intended for anyone but me. It’s the most cost-effective therapy I’ve ever found.” – Tim Ferriss
I always say that journaling isn't about being productive. It's about putting your thoughts and feelings on paper.
7. “Journaling is like whispering to one’s self and listening at the same time.” – Mina Murray, Dracula
Your brain has the power to whisper to one's self and listen at the same time. Give it a try.
8. “Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works.” – Virginia Woolf
Your journal is your experience and what you want to remember about your own life.
9. “Writing is my way of expressing – and thereby eliminating – all the various ways we can be wrong-headed.” – Zadie Smith
Journaling and writing can help you get your head straight. It's truly amazing how accurate these quotes about journaling are.
10. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – Maya Angelou
Every person has an untold story and journaling is a way to make telling that story a reality.
11. “Writing is medicine. It is an appropriate antidote to injury. It is an appropriate companion for any difficult change.” – Julia Cameron
No one knows the true depth of how journaling and writing can be true medicine for your soul.
12. “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” — Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
What is going on inside your head? Writing down what is going on inside of you is so helpful.
13. “Write hard and clear about what hurts.” – Ernest Hemingway
If you're hurting, inside, get that journal out and start writing in it.
14. “Writing eases my suffering . . . writing is my way of reaffirming my own existence.” – Gao Xingjian
If you're suffering or even if you're happy, writing words down can help get those feelings out.
15. “Preserve your memories, keep them well, what you forget you can never retell.” – Louisa May Alcott
Journaling is a way to preserve those memories. You can keep them in one spot and read them anytime you want.
16. “If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.” – Anaïs Nin
I think it's amazing how writing can invoke so many feelings within us. Sometimes there is no place for those feelings to go.
17. “Journal writing is a voyage to the interior.” – Christina Baldwin
If you have a lot going on on the outside and don't know how to break down those barriers, journaling can truly be a voyage to the interior.
18. “This pouring thoughts out on paper has relieved me. I feel better and full of confidence and resolution.” – Diet Eman, Things We Couldn't Say
For some people, journaling is a true outlet! I find that I'm full of confidence the more I journal.
19. “Your Journal is like your bestfriend, You don't have to pretend with it, you can be honest and write exactly how you feel”
– Bukola Ogunwale
If you love journaling enough, it can truly become your best friend.
20. “Journal writing gives us insights into who we are, who we were, and who we can become.” – Sandra Marinella, The Story You Need to Tell: Writing to Heal from Trauma, Illness, or Loss
If you don't know who you are inside, journaling is an excellent way to get to know yourself.
21. “People who keep journals have life twice.” – Jessamyn West
A journal can truly help you live your best life. This may be the perfect reason to start journaling. This is one of my favorite positive journal quotes.
22. “Keeping a journal of what’s going on in your life is a good way to help you distill what’s important and what’s not.” – Martina Navratilova
Without knowing what's important and what is not, you cannot truly live your best life.
23. “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.” – Jodi Picoult
Luckily, with journaling, you can write and keep it or you can toss what you don't like!
24. “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’Amour
Sometimes it's all about just getting started, you can't truly get anything out unless you start.
25. “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
I can truly say that when I write, so many things disappear. Bad things go away and good things come!
26. “Don’t bend, don’t water it down, don’t try to make it logical, don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.” – Franz Kafka
When you spend time journaling, you don't have to sugar coat anything. You're journaling for yourself and no one else.
27. “And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” – Sylvia Plath
There is so much that you can write about it. Don't have self-doubt!
28. “Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.” – Lisa See
I do love journaling, but reading opens to many doors with vocabulary and my thought process.
29. “It ain’t whatcha write, it’s the way atcha write it.” – Jack Kerouac, WD
I agree so much with this! Just get started with journaling and the best things will come out.
30. If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.” – Peter Handke
Journaling is one way to be a storyteller, don't stop journaling!
31. “I believe myself that a good writer doesn’t really need to be told anything except to keep at it.” – Chinua Achebe
When it comes to journaling, you don't need to do anything, but keep at it!
I hope these inspirational quotes about journaling can help you get the inspiration and motivation you need to start journaling.
Inspirational quotes are wonderful in helping you discover the great gift that journaling provides. If you need more tips or ideas, please feel free to comment below or send an email. I can't wait to hear from you!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links and/or promotional products, all opinions expressed are that of But First, Joy only. Read my full disclosure.